Have you been curious about IV therapy? IV therapy has exploded in popularity in recent years as patients around the country look for more long-term, personalized approaches to healthcare. Today, our team at Today’s Integrative Health will discuss what IV therapy is and why we recommend it to our patients.
What Is IV Therapy?
IV therapy is a delivery method for fluids, minerals, nutrients, and vitamins the body may be low on. The “IV” stands for intravenous, which means it’s administered through the veins. A certified and trained professional will ensure that the fluid that contains the essential vitamins and minerals is delivered via an IV drip or injection into the vein.
It’s important to note that this practice should always be administered by a healthcare professional. Typically a nurse will set up an IV for various reasons, but not limited to dehydration to medical emergencies. At Today’s Integrative Health a doctor is always in the office, ready to focus on you, when undergoing intravenous Therapy. IV therapy can also help with certain illnesses and other medical ailments.
How Does It Work?
While it may seem complicated, IV therapy is pretty straightforward. The nurse administering the IV therapy will help guide you through the process, so you have a good idea of what’s going on. The nurse will start by disinfecting the injection site and placing the needle directly into your veins. More often than not, the injection site will be located in the arm as it’s easier to find a vein.
Once the Intravenous is injected, the nurse will check the pump to make sure the rate of delivery is correct. The delivery being too slow could result in you not getting enough, while too fast could result in adverse side-effects. During the process, it’s important to keep still so you don’t dislodge the catheter. Outside of that, you can read, eat, rest or do anything that doesn’t involve too much movement.
What Are In The IV Bags?
The fluid inside of the IV bag will vary depending on what you need the IV for. It can hold saline, vitamins, minerals, and medications. Here are some of the things commonly found in IV bags:
- Saline – Used for patients who are battling dehydration
- Dextrose – Helps lower blood sugar
- Lactated Ringer’s – Used during surgery and to treat dehydration
- Vitamin B – Often used on patients who have a difficult time absorbing vitamins
- Vitamin C – Helps boost the immune system
- Calcium – Used on patients who don’t receive enough calcium in their diet
- Magnesium – Reduces inflammation and may help prevent migraines
- Antioxidants – May be used to help protect the body from many different diseases
- Antibiotics – Used in case of infection
- Glutathione – May help with digestion, detoxification and brain health
Before beginning IV therapy, it’s important to understand what’s in your IV bag. Your treatment is personal and your bag is too.
The Many Benefits of IV Therapy
What are the benefits of IV therapy? Why have so many people around the world turned to IV therapy, and how is it impacting their overall wellbeing? Here are some of the noted benefits of IV therapy:
- Improved wellness – IV therapy can help improve your physical and mental health by providing your body the tools it needs to stay in good condition.
- Improved skin health – One of the significant benefits of IV therapy is that it provides your body with a unique blend of vitamins, nutrients, and antioxidants. This is good for your skin, hair, and nails.
- Improved athletic performance – Athletes all over the world use IV therapy to help boost their performance. Working out places a strain on your muscles and can even lead to the buildup of free radicals. IV drips are designed to flush out free radicals, promoting healing and rehydration.
- Weight loss – IV therapy can help your body break down fat easier. IV therapy works best when it’s paired with healthy eating and exercise.
The benefits listed above are the reason why IV therapy has boomed in popularity in recent years. If any of these benefits caught your attention then it’s time to reach out to our team at Today’s Integrative Health. IV therapy is one of the many functional medicine treatment options we offer to our patients.
Other Treatment Options We Offer
IV therapy is only the tip of the iceberg. At our office, we offer a wide range of treatment options to help improve your overall well-being. We also provide the following treatment options:
- Chiropractic Care
- Integrative Health Care
- Ozone Therapy
- Integrative Cancer Treatment
- Active Release Technique
- Bio-identical Hormone Replacement
- Meridian Therapy
Give our team a call if you have any questions regarding the services mentioned above.
Dr. Leo is ready to help you take control of your health. We work with you every step of the way to build a patient-doctor relationship that will help us design a plan that provides long-lasting results.
Give Us A Call Today
If you’re ready for a different approach, give our team at Today’s Integrative Health a call. We offer a wide range of services to help you get to the source of your medical ailments. If you live in the Rockville, Maryland area, reach out to our office. We also have a range of supplements that complement your IV.
We look forward to working with you!