Chiropractic care began in the late 1800s. The first adjustment was credited by Daniel David Palmer of Iowa, who used manual adjustments to treat people’s ailments. He worked on a partially deaf janitor who he noticed had a vertebra out of place. After the adjustment, the janitor found that he could hear again. Daniel David Palmer paved the way for the future of chiropractic care.
Today manual adjustments are used to help gently release areas of the spine, joints, and other parts of the body’s musculoskeletal system. These treatments are intended to increase the range of motion, eliminate some pain and tightness, as well as create proper alignment throughout the body.
What You Should Know About Chiropractic Care?
Chiropractic care is a common practice that uses non drug measures to help alleviate people’s pain and improve their health. Through a series of ailments and spinal adjustments, chiropractors can correct years of poor posture, effects of certain accidents and injuries, as well as treat pain caused within joints, bones, muscles, connective tissue, cartilage, and tendons.
The word chiropractic derives from the Greek word “chier,” which means hand and “praktos,” which means done and together it means done by hand. Though some of these practices date back to the late 1800s this type of care is considered alternative medicine because of the non-conventional types of treatment. Before becoming a doctor of chiropractic (DC), a chiropractor goes through extensive education and training before being granted a license by their state’s National Board of Chiropractic Examiners.
How They Can Help
You can find chiropractors in some hospitals, private clinics, retirement communities, as well as physical therapy offices. Below are just a few issues they can help patients with:
- Herniated discs
- Car accident injuries
- Degenerative disc disease
- Spinal stenosis
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Sports injuries
- Shoulder pain and rotator-cuff injuries
- Hip and knee pain
- Pregnancy related ailments
- And so much more
How Can Chiropractic Care Benefit You?
If you have never experienced a chiropractic adjustment before, you will find the immediate relief quite surprising. Through various manual techniques, the chiropractor will access the ailments or misalignment of your spine, limbs, hips, neck, and other parts of your body. Dr. Leo and Dr. Rosenberg have decades of experience helping people alleviate their musculoskeletal pain and chronic discomfort.
There are many diverse benefits of chiropractic care that might surprise you. In addition to some of the more commonly known benefits like back pain, joints, arthritis and muscular relief below are some other ways this type of care can help you:
- Helps reduce stress and promote relaxation
- Heal from injury faster
- Improves blood circulation
- Helps boost your immune system
- Improve sleep
- Helps combat depression
- Decreases your need for drugs
- Encourages a smooth birth
- Enhances physical performance
- Improves digestion
- Helps with children’s growth and development
- Aids in weight loss and detox
- Improves posture
What Are The Pros and Cons of Chiropractic Care?
With any form of treatment, there are pros and cons, as well as risks and rewards. Any type of care requires determination on your part and your commitment to healing and recovery. Below are 3 pros and cons to selecting chiropractic care as your form of treatment.
- Relief – Though not everyone experiences immediate relief of the specific ailment they came in for, almost everyone feels some relief when they get an adjustment. Most clients report feeling less stiff, more relaxed and increased mobility.
- Cost – The overall costs for chiropractic care are usually significantly less than prescription drugs, exams, tests, and surgical procedures.
- Overall Body – Unlike conventional treatments, chiropractic care has more positive influences over the entire body. Although you may seek treatment for a lower back injury an adjustment can help improve many parts of the whole body.
- Insurance – Most insurance does not cover chiropractic care. This unfortunate situation keeps a lot of people from seeking the care they need. It’s always great to check with your insurance company to see what your benefits entail. Most chiropractors work with their patients and can set up financial planning to make sure patients get the proper care they deserve.
- Soreness – Many patients report feeling sore the day after an adjustment. This is typically after certain therapeutic treatments but should not be majorly concerning. Usually, most patients report feeling less pain, soreness, and more mobility. There are also those injuries that take several treatments before establishing relief.
- Healing takes time – Chiropractic care is not usually one treatment and done. After your consultation, your provider will lay out a treatment plan that will help give you the results you are hoping for. Healing takes time, consistency, dedication on both the part of the patient and the practitioner.
How Today’s Integrative Health Can Help You?
There are various techniques used at our clinic to help relieve specific pains and injuries, such as the Active Release Technique and spinal manipulation. Chiropractic care can serve as a great alternative to strong opioids or narcotics for pain relief and in some cases major surgery. At Today’s Integrative Health, we customize all our treatments and tailor them to meet your specific needs.
Some people are afraid of chiropractic care, but we put our clients at ease by explaining our procedures and answering any questions they have at our practice. Chiropractic care is incredibly non-invasive and safe.
Call Us Today
If you find yourself experiencing pain or discomfort that you can’t seem to alleviate on your own, please reach out to our office today. You do not have to walk around in pain. We would love to talk to you more about the many benefits of chiropractic wellness. Call us today to schedule an appointment.